Friday 9 August 2013

THE RETURNED GALLIC FLAIR WITHOUT THE SCARE

Flood : Rero Style Design - Flood

Call me thick but I really didn't get the final episode of The Returned. OK, it might well be a set up for the second outing next year, but all those episodes just so we could have a lengthy remake of John Carpenter's The Fog seems a bit of a waste. 

It all started quite promisingly, slow and deliberate as the dead came back to find they were an inconvenience as much as anything. Life moves on and the past is exactly where it should be. But those themes started to fade, as the ghost story started to kick in. Phantom figures from the flooded village started to edge onto the screen and the tosh elements of Lost crept in, people unable to escape the forest or drive along the dam, stuff that doesn't bode well for season two. Let's hope John Lock doesn't turn up to shift the village back and forth in time. 

That is not to say The Returned didn't have its moments creepy kid Victor stole every scene he was in, sad eyed Camille was a picture of alienation, and there was a great atmosphere of unease around eerie Simon. But I'm sure it was only the Gallic flair and style that kept me with it, if The Returned had been a BBC, or ITV, show with James Nesbitt and Lesley Sharp, I would have wandered away long ago. 

So, after this, quite literal wash out of a finale,  I'm probably not on my own as I wonder will I return to The Returned?

The Owner

No comments:

Post a Comment