Monday 9 December 2013

What's A Video?!




Videocassette : Videotape, videocassette in hand  On a white background I went to look in a few Charity Shops on Saturday, like most people do. And if it isn't old women behind the counter, it is usually a couple of gormless looking teenagers. No doubt getting some cushy work experience under their belts. Well that is what faced me in one charity shop.
"'Ere what's this," one of the idiot teenagers said holding up a video cassette.
"Dunno," his moronic mate replied. "Is it one of them vinyl LPs or something?"
With that the first teenager launched the video in the bin. I was shocked, like they had just thrown a bag of kittens into the river.
"That was a video!" I shouted.
They looked at me like a was an idiot or something.
"Do you know what people watched before videos?" I continued.
They shook their heads.
"Nothing. It was endless terrestrial dross. Then came video and everything changed."
They looked uncomfortable and even the smelly customer, which all Charity Shops have by law, left swiftly.
"A whole wonderful world of film opened up for everyone lucky enough to own a VHS and if it wasn't for that video cassette you just disrespected," I pointed at the spotty, gormless gitt. "The world would be a colder,sadder place. Everything your nasty generation holds dear is due to the video."
I stopped and proudly stood my ground.
"Get lost you nutter or we'll call the manager," the bigger of the two sneered.
"Yeah get lost grandad," the other piped up.
I wanted to say get the manager  but they looked feral enough not to need him.
"You can have this then," one shouted and threw the cassette at my head.
I looked at the video, on the ground, after it had bounced off my bonce, it was Rocky IV. I picked it up and dusted it down.
"Come on," I said to it. "You're going home."
And I took it back to the Abandoned Video Shop, here it now sits happily with the other two hundred and fifty copies we have of Rocky IV.
The Owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment